Friday, December 21, 2012

The 2012 Recap

*Note: You can also read this entry on our new blog by clicking here*

What a year it has been! I can't believe this year is over. I think I say that every year, but it really is true. Time flies by too fast. 

This year we.. 


  • Started Learning Domestic Discipline (the website)! We merged our two blogs (Learning DD, and Knowing Your Roles) into one site- Learning Domestic Discipline. The response has been overwhelming, and it's still so surreal to us. We look forward to what 2013 will bring! 
  • Celebrated our gorgeous sons first birthday. There are no words to explain how quickly kids grow up. :-( There are also no words to express our love for him. He. is. perfect. 
  • I started the 1 Year No Spanking Challenge. Several other bloggers also undertook it, and it has been awesome to support each other through it. My challenge made it 5 months the first time, and now I'm in month 2 of the second "re-do". I'm determined to make it a year! 
  • Realized that my husband and I might be a little too addicted to real estate and home improvement shows. House Hunters, House Hunters International, DIY Disaster and Love It or List It currently dominate our DVR, and have most of the year.
  • We also realized how awful Yo Gabba Gabba is. Unfortunately, that is our sons favorite show which means that Clint and I walk around all day with Yo Gabba Gabba songs stuck in our heads.
  • We took a few amazing trips, including a (much needed) beach vacation to a gorgeous island, a Charleston SC trip (the first time we had a trip, just the two of us, since our son was born!), and a few others. We also planned some exciting trips for 2013 that I really wish would hurry up and get here. We love traveling.
  • We launched the Learning Domestic Discipline forums! It's been a lot of fun to meet new people. 
  • We were contacted by a big-name talk show. Discussions about it are on-going, but we are excited to see what 2013 holds in terms of domestic discipline and sharing it with as many people as we can.
  • I got, what I would consider, the worst spanking ever
  • I told all the playgroup moms about DD. Surprisingly, the reaction wasn't near as bad as I expected!
  • My husband started a new job, which has been great, because it allows him to be home much more and it's in a field that he really loves.
  • We started maintenance spankings. It was a concept that I was not so thrilled with at first, but now that it's been some time, I can totally see the benefits (and I think my husband can too). 
  • I was hospitalized for just shy of a week, and during that time, went through 3 surgeries. It was a very difficult time for our entire family, but we got through it. It's situations like that one which really make me realize never to take anything for granted. Thankfully, I'm back to normal, healthy, and everything is great. 
  • We implemented a "no cussing rule", something that we have never had before, but now that our son is picking up so many new words and beginning to mimic everything we say, it was definitely time. I struggled with it a lot at first (and, still have some minor slip-ups from time to time) but I think it's safe to say that soap in the mouth, or swats, really does work.
  • We celebrated a lot of firsts with our son. The most memorable was the first time he ever said "mama" was on my birthday. Talk about the best birthday ever. He also took his first steps this year (over Memorial Day weekend), celebrated lots of first holidays like Valentines Day, Easter, Fourth of July, and more, started eating "big boy food", and so much more. It was a year of firsts. :-) 
  • We realized how important, and how wonderful, the DD community really is. The amount of support we have gotten this year (especially while I was sick!) will be an everlasting memory for us. We've gotten to meet some great domestic discipline couples this year, and we're looking forward to meeting many more in 2013. 

We are looking forward to what 2013 holds. From our family, to yours, happy holidays! We hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas, and New Years. Stay safe, and remember how short life is- it really flies by too fast. 

Happy Holidays,

Clint and Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment